Where Desire Meets Destiny

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Back to Weekend Blogging

I got the permanent job I applied for and I will start my new job on Monday. So, more than likely, I'll be back to weekend blogging.

I've tried to get a lot of writing done during my time off but I wonder, sometimes, if having a job and having to fight for the time to write actually makes me more productive. Not that I haven't accomplished probably more writing than I would have working full-time, but I think that the struggle to find the time to write makes that writing time even more precious.

Just a thought.

That's not to say I wouldn't mind making a living from my writing and not having to work at all. Not saying that at all.

But, for now, and the foreseeable future, I have to work and write. That's just the way it is and that's just the way I'll have to deal with it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Portia Da Costa said...

You know, I often think that I was far more productive and focused on my writing when I had a 'day' job. The writing time was so precious then that I really made the most of it... and now, it's so easy to fritter time away and waste it.

I'll bet your productivity actually rises!

4/18/2007 8:08 AM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

That's the way I've felt these past two weeks, Portia. I mean, I'm very grateful for the time off but I can't help thinking I've frittered away so much time because I had so much time to fritter away!

I mean, sometimes, it's like that lovely Italian expression "dolce far niente", how sweet to do nothing. And I sure did a lot of nothing these past two weeks.

But I hadn't had a vacation in over a year and a half so I'm not going to feel too bad that I spent most of my time off just relaxing. I needed the rest. :)

However, I did start, draft and am currently revising a nearly 9,000 word short story, a historical fantasy, which I will be submitting this week. So it wasn't a total loss. :)

4/18/2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger GutterBall said...

Yay for the permanent position! *dances* Go you, Anna!

I agree on the "less time, more writing" thing. I had a while between jobs where I could have probably cranked out at least one whole book -- probably two, since I wasn't, ya know, working -- but because I was so worried about money and fretting about not working for the first time since I became a teenager, I couldn't put a single word to the page.

As soon as I got another job, the ideas just about truckloaded me. *sigh* Of course, I didn't have time for them then.

4/18/2007 10:18 PM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Thanks, GB! It's only been a year and half of trying to find one but I was determined not to give up. :)

What you pointed out? That's exactly how it was and is with me. You have the time when you're not working, but unless you've won the lottery or inherited a fortune, you're worried so much about paying bills and such. Then when you do get a job, suddenly there's no more time. Ach!

But we find a way, somehow, to get those words on paper.

4/19/2007 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home