Where Desire Meets Destiny

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Back to Reality

My two weeks off are nearly over. Tomorrow I start my new permanent job. Which means back to the 40 hour work week. Which means fighting for writing time once again

I didn't get as much done, writing-wise, during my two weeks off as I would have liked. I did spend the majority of the time working on a short story for a fantasy anthology (an actual *shock* non-erotic story!), which I submitted last Friday and was, subseqeuntly, rejected on Saturday.

Yes, a very fast rejection, but if you're going to get rejected on a story I'd much rather know sooner than later.

Now, of course, I'm wondering if I should have spent my time off on something else since the story I wrote, as far as I can see, has a very limited marketability, meaning, at least for now, I have no idea where else I can send it.

But, I can't undo the past. What's done is done. All I can do is move on. And move on I shall and I must. I'm going to start work today on a new short story (going back to my erotica) and the due date for submission is May 12th. And I'm also going back to working on my novel (which I somewhat put aside in order to get the rejected short story done in time for the April 20th deadline) and the world-building for my next novel. Also have a number of other deadlines for projects that are fast approaching.

That's what you have to do with rejections. You shake them off (but trust me, they do hurt!) and you go on to the next project.

Well, off to buy new shoes for work and and a couple of items of clothing. Fortunately, where I'll be working is "business casual". Whatever that means. Usually it just means you can dress relatively comfortably and you don't have to spend a pile of money on clothes (unless you choose to and I choose not to). Fridays we can wear jeans so that's cool. I was able to do that on my last temp assignment and it makes Fridays even more of a day to look forward to.

Ciao!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger GutterBall said...

Well, I went from living in jeans for 22 years to "business casual", and while I hate "dressing up", I gotta say that it could be worse. I could have to wear skirts/dresses all the time. God, I hate pantyhose.

But at least at the law firm, we got Jeans Fridays. Not so at this job. Of course, I'm now cramming 40+ hours into 4 days and don't work Fridays, so it wouldn't really effect me now, anyway. Oi.

Good luck on the new job, Anna, and that sucks about the rejection. At least it was fast. Small comfort, but....

4/22/2007 1:11 PM  
Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Good luck at the new job, Anna! I hope they treat you like the queen you are!

4/23/2007 6:23 AM  
Blogger Tempest Knight said...

Sorry to hear about the "R" letter, Anna. They suck... But like you said, it's better to get an answer to one's submission sooner than later.

Good luck with your full time job! I understand what you'll be going through with your time limited for writing. It's a pain in the butt. Especially when the muses are in full swing.

4/24/2007 6:37 AM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Thanks, everyone! *grin*

4/29/2007 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home