Where Desire Meets Destiny

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Keeper Shelf

I have a few books on my "keeper shelf". Books that once I've read them I have to keep close so that at some future point in time I can read them again and again and again.

Most of my "keeper books" have been science fiction or fantasy; the first Dune book, Lord of the Rings, The Snow Queen by Joan Vinge and a some others.

These two books are the only romance books, so far, that I have on my keeper shelf: Laura Kinsale's Flowers from the Storm and Penelople Williamson's Heart of the West.

I've had Kinsale's book on my keeper shelf since I first read it a few years ago. I first read Williamson's book last December. Allison Kent mentioned it on her blog as a great read. I picked it up at the library, read it and loved it! I wanted the hardcover version, but it's out of print.

Yesterday I finally found a used copy of the hardcover at Half Price Books. I was so thrilled! Now it's sitting next to all my other keeper books on the shelf.

It's always great to discover a truly wonderful book. A book that becomes a keeper.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Tempest Knight said...

I wish I could say I have a few books on my keeper shelf, but honestly, I can't part from a book no matter how bad it is. So when I bought my new house, I made sure there was a room just for my books. *wg*

3/13/2007 9:19 PM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Greetings, Tempest!

Actually, I have shelves and walls full of books. My Keeper Shelf is just for those very "special" books. *grin*

To be honest if I had kept every book I've ever owned I'd probably need a mansion to store them all but, unfortunatley, my limited space requires me to get rid of some of my books every now and then.

But I never throw them away. I always either donate them to the library or, if I have a large number of them, sell them to the used book stores. I figure, somebody somewhere is looking for that one particular book, that's out of print, that I just might have and no longer need.

I'd like to think that's how I got my hands on a copy of Heart of the West. *grin*

3/14/2007 6:27 PM  
Blogger Arin Rhys said...

Ah, yes, the keeper shelf. If only I hadn't loaned out my copy of Dune, it would still be with me. :(

I'm not organized enough for keeper shelves. I just try to make sure that my old favorites don't crowd out the newly bought books.

3/17/2007 5:13 AM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Greetings, Arin. I had a very nice, hardcover editon of Dune that got lost somehow in one of my various moves in the past. Ah, well. :-)

3/18/2007 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home