Where Desire Meets Destiny

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sweating with Sven

Still sweating along with Sven. So far, since the 70 Days of Sweat started nine days ago I've written 16,842 words, with an average of 1,684 words a day for those last nine days.
Yesterday I finished the draft of my 30,000 word novella. Now comes the hard, but fun, work.

Revision.
Personally, I love to revise. Drafting is what I can't stand. That's why I try to write my draft as fast as I can so that I can get to what, at least for me, is the real writing. Revising, rewriting, editing.
My daily word count will go down as a result, because, as I'm sure you know revision involves cutting. But, I tend to write what I call bare-bones drafts, which means I leave out a lot of the description, internal monologue, dialogue tags and such that give texture to a scene.
I layer that stuff in after my draft is done. So it's a process of both adding what needs to be added and cutting what's not needed.
Fun stuff. :)
No, really. It's really fun. Hard work, but fun.
So, that's what I'll be doing from now until November 1st. Revising the novella and continue my prepping for NaNoWriMo.
Ciao for now!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to revise and write at the same time. One of my editors sent revisions just as the 70 day challenge started, so I was writing on a new book in the morning and working revisions in the afternoon. Doable, but tough. Good luck on getting both done. :-)

10/29/2007 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home