Where Desire Meets Destiny

Monday, December 11, 2006

Pan's Labyrinth


I'm not sure how wide a release this movie will get but it's one I would very much like to see.

Pan's Labyrinth, although it looks like a fairy tale for children, is definitely not for children. It's described as a fairy tale for adults and, from what I saw in the trailer, it looks like the kind of dark fantasy movie I've been wanting to see for quite some time.

A brief synopsis: Set in 1940s Spain against the postwar repression of Franco's Spain, a fairy tale that centers on Ofelia, a lonely and dreamy child living with her mother and adoptive father, who is a military officer tasked with 'ridding the area' of rebels. In her loneliness, Ofelia creates a world filled with fantastical creatures and secret destinies. With Fascism at its height, Ofelia must come to terms with her world through a fable of her own creation.

As I said, it's definitely not for young children as the movie is rated R but it looks incredibly imaginative and original and, trust me, imginative and original is something that I can't resist in a movie.

If, for some reason it's not released here, I will definitely look for it on DVD.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Ooooh, just the picture is very, very intriguing! I love dark fantasy too. Is that one movie with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz (sp?) out yet? I'd love to see it, although I don't know that it's really dark or fairytale-ish.

12/13/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Weird, your blog doesn't like my Blogger name any more. I had to use my google one. I wonder if any other blogger blogs are that way, or if you're just special? *g* I haven't tried anywhere else lately.

12/13/2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Well, the Jackman/Weisz movie The Fountain did come out but my son said that hardly anyone went to see it and it's already left the theater he works at. Look for it soon on DVD.

As for whether it's a dark fairytale or fantasy, sounds like, at least from what my son said, the problem was it was a very hard movie to define. I'll check it out when it comes out on DVD.

Blogger is driving me crazy, to be honest, but I'm too lazy and too busy (yep, it's possible to be both *grin*) to even think about switching to another blogging site right now. Maybe in 2007.

12/15/2006 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home