Where Desire Meets Destiny

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cameo of a Woman Writer

While surfing the Net, I found this picture of a cameo of a woman writer.

I think it' s lovely. I like the way she's resting her cheek on her hand, as if she's pausing to consider her next word.

Or maybe she fell asleep. :)

I haven't fallen asleep while writing but I've gotten pretty tired sometimes. Especially if I'm writing late in the evening.

I actually prefer writing at night but it's become problematic for me because most of the time, because I get up so early to go to work, I'm usually pretty tired in the evenings.

So, early morning has become the best time to write. Or at least it is for as long as I have to keep working for a living.

Now, I'm going to backtrack and say that, although I do like to write at night, when I'm not working (like on the weekends or during times of unemployment) I find that the hours between 8:00 a.m. and around noon work best for me.

Weekend afternoons are my favorite time to read or nap (yep, I love to take naps on the weekends) and weekend evenings are usually reserved to watch movies. In between running errands and doing whatever I can't get done during the work week.

So, care to share when, during the day, or night, is your best time to write? Which hours out of those 24 alloted to us each day do you find most creative?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger GutterBall said...

Sadly, between 8:00 PM and midnight, which doesn't bode well for that "gotta go to work in the morning" thing. *sigh*

8/30/2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

I hear ya, Gutterball. I'd love to be able to write during those times but I know it would kill me having to get up in the morning. When I was in school that's when I would do most of my writing, at night, but then I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to go to classes either. :)

8/31/2007 5:40 AM  
Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Either 4:30-6:00 a.m. before work or 9:00 p.m. - midnight after the monsters are in bed. I sort of go in phases back and forth depending on what my schedule allows. Getting up that early really sucks, but there's a phase of my brain that's not really awake yet, so it's almost like dreaming. Some darned good writing has come out of those sessions. And okay, a heck of lot that doesn't make much sense at all. :-)

9/01/2007 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually write from about 5-7 at night, or 5-10. Some days I write whenever I can get the time. I leave my file open and write in snatches of time, but I never write till after noon. I am not a morning person. If I am up early, it's gardening and business stuff, plus Fred is home then. He works second shift.

9/02/2007 9:16 AM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Finding that right time is great, but I'm also learning that you have to be ready to write whenever you can. Especially with lives as hectic as ours! :)

9/02/2007 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home