Where Desire Meets Destiny

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tick Tock

Do you feel it sometimes? That sense of time passing by so fast that you wonder if you'll ever catch up to it?

I celebrated a birthday yesterday. Another one. When it seemed like I'd already had one.

People talk about the biological clock, the one that tells women they only have so much time to have a child before their bodies will no longer easily accomodate one.

I wonder if there is a creativity clock? Is it possible that one can reach a point, after enough time has passed, that one's creativity, especially if you don't use it, dries up?

I shudder to think so.

But, I don't think there is. Oh, there's no doubt that as we get older our bodies, no matter how well we take care of them, become more fragile, more susceptible to illness and weakness and that our brains too, age.

But we can still keep those creative fires burning, still keep that creativity clock ticking.

We just have to want to do it and make an effort to do so.

Speaking of illness, I believe I've caught a cold. My throat is scratchy and I'm sneezing. Oh joy! Time to find some Cold-Eeze and start sucking on them. Actually, they also come in bubble-gum, so more likely chewing than sucking.

I hate colds!

Ah-choo!

Ciao!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oh, man, I missed your birthday! I was thinking it was in September, but I think that's Wanda's. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I think as long as we keep filling the creative well with stuff like... pictures of Clive... then we'll be creating stuff for many long years. :-)

Hope you feel better!

8/28/2007 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the creative clock running out some days. But that is my FLAW. It's not real. It's just a feeling and a negative one at that.

But of course, I am paying people to tell me this! LOL!

Seriously, it does not run out.

8/28/2007 8:49 AM  
Blogger Bri said...

Eesh! Bless you! I hope your cold goes away quickly. They're more an annoyance than anything.

My dad is always fond of saying that if you don't "use your education, you lose it." I think the same could go for writers. I think there's probably always a chance for us to revive it, but I think that we could lose aspects of the craft if we don't run maintenance every now and then.

Again - hope you get to feeling better!

8/28/2007 2:00 PM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You, too? A birthday yesterday? Christine had one, too (and my #1 has one today)!

Happy birthday a day late -- hope you feel better!!

8/28/2007 2:05 PM  
Blogger Dixie Belle said...

Happy Birthday!!!

As far as I'm concerned, creativity never dies. It may slow down but it ain't gonna die!

8/28/2007 4:22 PM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Thanks, everyone! You're all absolutely right. The creative well doesn't have to go dry as long as we create something, anything!

Lots of August birthdays! Counting back nine months I can see why. Gotta keep warm somehow. :)

Thanks again for the birthday wishes.

8/28/2007 5:25 PM  
Blogger GutterBall said...

Naw, I think there was just a lot of thanksgiving going on.

*ba-dum-chink!*

Happy Birthday, my dear, and you are nowhere near old enough to have to worry about a creativity clock. I'll still be "tellin windies", as a particularly colorful uncle used to put it, when I'm one foot in the grave. Woot!

8/28/2007 6:44 PM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

"Tellin' windies" I like that! Thanks, Gutterball.

I hear ya! I'll just ignore that tick tocking in the background and concentrate on the click clacking of my laptop keyboard as I write. :)

8/29/2007 4:41 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Mine was on the 19th! And I certainly hope the creative juices don't slow down or I'm in trouble!!!

Again hope you had a good one!
Michelle

8/30/2007 12:27 AM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Thanks, Michelle, and happy belated birthday to you!

8/30/2007 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home