Where Desire Meets Destiny

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Throwing in the Towel

Well, I'm throwing in the towel regarding NaNoWriMo. I started out with high hopes on November 1st that I'd finished, but that's also the day I started my new temp assignment.

Which requires me to not only go in earlier but to drive farther.

It's been a struggle to write in the mornings because I'd have to get up at 3:30 a.m. to get in a good writing bout and have enough time to get ready for work and get there in time. Sure, I get off ealier, but evenings are always touch and go for me, depending upon how crappy or stresseful the day has been.

That's why I liked writing in the mornings.

And, I should not have tried to do NaNo knowing I had a 30,000 word novella to revise in November for a submission deadline of 11/15.

So, I'm pulling out of NaNo. I've "won" it twice before so I know I can do 50,000 words in a month. And I did 0ver 50,000 words in October and, as a result of starting and participating in the 1,000 Words a Day Group, so far, since September 1st, I've written 117,252 words.

So I know I can do it. It's just that November has been something of a bust. And months, weeks or days where things just don't go as you planned do and will happen.

The important thing is not to let that become an excuse just to give up altogether.

Here's a link to a page that talks about setting and achieving goals. The idea is that when planes fly to their destination they are, apparently, some degrees off of course.

One Degree Difference

I've been more than one degree difference off course of my goals this month. That's for sure! But that's okay. I'm still going to keep flying.

And I'm mixing metaphors right and left in this blog post, aren't I? *grin*

Ciao!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Getting that novella turned around like you did was a huge achievement!! Maybe we'll set our own "NaNo" sometime next year and grind out another 50K. :-)

11/24/2007 7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the EDJ(evil day job) hope things get a little less stressful for you, hugs

11/25/2007 7:53 AM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Joely - Sounds like a great idea. Can always do a "NaNo" whenever it's more convenient.

Tina - Thanks, Tina. I have a writer-pal who also has to work a full-time job and try to write and she knows the frustration of that too.

11/25/2007 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home