Where Desire Meets Destiny

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Storm Clouds

I know that if you want to be a pro in the writing biz you have to be able to keep going no matter what happens.

I wish it were that simple.

I had a family crisis yesterday and, as much as I wanted to write, as much as I may have needed to write, writing was the last thing on my mind.

That family crisis has not abated. I woke up with it on my mind. I still have yet to resolve it. However, this voice inside of me is telling me if I'm going to realize The Dream, if I'm going to be a professional writer, if I'm going to really, truly do this, I have to write in spite of.

Again, I wish it were that simple.

But, like that bit of sunlight peering through the dark clouds in the picture above, I guess that's what we have to do. Whether we want to become writers, whether we want to become doctors or lawyers or chefs. Whether we just want to live a life that's more than just a life. We have to acknowledge whatever is going on in our lives, as stressful and painful as it may be, and we have to keep on going.

None of us are special in the sense that we're the only ones who make mistakes, or we're the only ones who are in pain, or we're the only ones who have problems.

Everybody makes mistakes, everybody feels pain and everybody has problems of one sort of another.

So, I'm not going to make some rah-rah speech about how I'm going to grit my teeth and throw myself back into the trenches and write.

I will write today. I'll finish my submission packet for my 13,000 word story and submit it. I'll work on my prep work for the 70 Days which I'll be starting tomorrow.

But I'll write because that's what I have to do. Just like I have to get up and look for a job, or find some way to pay my bills, or make sure that those that I care for are all right.

I'll write because that's what I do.

I write.

In the sun and in the rain.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

HUGS. I'll e-mail you shortly.

7/12/2007 1:39 PM  
Blogger Portia Da Costa said...

Hi Anna

I don't know what your crisis is, but I'm sending good thoughts and positive vibes your way.

It's tough to write in the face of traumas, but sometimes the writing itself can be a therapy that helps take your mind off the problem for a while.

Take care...

love

Wendy

7/12/2007 1:52 PM  
Blogger Dixie Belle said...

I don't think you should force yourself to write. Maybe try and if you can do it, great. If not, the world isn't going to end. Don't stress about it. Do what you can. From experience, I can tell you, you never know what is coming next! LOL.

7/12/2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger Anna Black said...

Thanks, Joely, Portia and Dixie Belle!

And you're so right, Dixie Belle, it's always something, isn't it.

7/13/2007 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home